Welcome to my new format to bring up issues, concerns, events, and news affecting our industry and overall membership. Additionally, it will provide SAMA positions on certain issues and updates related to the on-going pandemic. Also, what’s happening in SAMA to include events, programs, and seminars/webinars. The overall intent is to keep you informed with short and to-the-point information. I know you are busy, like I am, and I appreciate getting, and giving, quick information, with links, so we can press on with our work. Lastly, we are extremely grateful to the Texas Manufacturing Assistance Center (TMAC), SwRI for being our newsletter sponsor.
The year 2020 will go down in history as one of the most troublesome ones. Of course, the coronavirus took center stage, and we all are awaiting its end. Till then, we need to be safe and healthy, following pandemic protocols to protect our families, friends, employees, and the public. Here is the latest from the state, county and city:
- State – Latest executive order from Gov. Abbott. No change in safe and health protocols. Selected establishments can operate at 75% capacity.
- County – Latest executive order from Judge Wolff, effective October 15th, continuing until 14 days following the termination of the state-wide public health emergency as declared by Gov. Abbott. No change in safe and health protocols. Social gatherings still at 10 or less.
- City – City of San Antonio dashboard and website with latest declaration, testing locations and other information.
November 3rd Elections – SAMA encourages everyone to vote if you haven’t already. Tell those who haven’t voted they need to as well. Every vote counts, regardless of party affiliation.
SAMA Position on CoSA Props – A – Pre-K4 SA (for); B – Workforce Development (against – too vague a program and not transparent enough); Advanced Transportation District A for Via (for)
Petitions – Environmentalist groups have started gathering signatures for petitions against CPS Energy and SAWS. SAMA opposes and supports the #SayNOPE campaign with the SA Business Coalition comprised of numerous chambers and sister trade associations. Get the facts at www.nopetitionsa.com.
As you know, SAMA events have been pretty much canceled for 2020. However, in the late third and start of the fourth quarter, we have had great successes with the following:
- September 24th – Achieving Excellence in Leadership Seminar/Webinar at Cox Manufacturing. Many thanks to Mike McIver, PSI; Mona Helmy, Helmy & Associates; and Baldemar Hernandez, Joyson Safety for providing leadership presentations to up-and-coming plant supervisors, helping them understand the foundations of great leadership
- September 28th – TMAC Manufacturing Supervisor Certification Program. Excellent virtual program with Caterpillar, Ember Industries and SaniSafe Products who sent individuals to get their supervisor certifications. A great program to help manufacturers grow their own and help lead their companies. Kudos to Sandra Hawkins, Manufacturing Professional, and Bill Rafferty, South Central Director, TMAC.
- October 2nd – Virtual MfgDay with Caterpillar, Cox Manufacturing Company, M2 Global and Toyota. Many thanks to them, Gova Creative, Benson Design, the SAMA staff, Judge Nelson Wolff and Judge Kyle Kutscher and all who attended the event!
- October 7th & 8th – SAMA 31st Annual Environmental “Virtual” Webinar. Great speakers from AACOG, TCEQ, SAWS, SAMA environmental consultant members on 20/20 Vision in 2020: Environmental Regulations and Solutions. Efforts ensured manufacturers understand regulations and rules governing compliance with air and water issues. Excellent President & CEO presentations from SAWS and CPS Energy highlighting water and energy availability, and their efforts to ensure commercial industry and residents have what they need. Thank you, Robert Puente, Paula Gold-Williams and all who attended! Great first time two-day virtual webinar and all do to a phenomenal SAMA staff – Rosie Ortiz and Michelle Moriarty.
- Oct 12th – SAMA 30th Annual Fall Golf Tournament. Superb event and the weather couldn’t have been better. The Hyatt Hill Country Golf Course was in great shape and all 60-plus players had a great time – lauded as a great event and it’s time to get back to networking and socializing – following safe and health guidelines of course! Kudos to the Hyatt course staff, my staff, all the golfers, wonderful presenting sponsor, Aggreko, and Luncheon and 19th Hole Awards Party Sponsor, BridgeHead IT Inc. Contest sponsors: Gardner Law (Hole-in-One); Weaver (Closest-to-the-Pin); Gallagher Benefit Services (Longest Drive and Hit-the-Green); Rothe San Antonio Calibration (Beverage Cart) and Renhill Staffing w/ Broadway National Bank and Rothe San Antonio Calibration our Beer Booth sponsors. Fun time had by all!
Looking Ahead to 2021
SAMA staff and Program Committee are putting together luncheon, program and event schedules to benefit our members and their employees. Membership committee is committed to recruiting and retaining members. During these times, it is imperative manufacturers have a voice and advocate that will look out for their interests and help their businesses.
There is so much more to pass on, but this will do. Normally, this would be posted on our website, and it will, but I wanted to share with all of you. Be safe and healthy and check out future President’s Corner articles on our website.
Newsletter Presented by: